[time-nuts] Sick Trimble TBolt

Chris Caudle chris at chriscaudle.org
Tue Jan 30 18:23:08 EST 2018

On Tue, January 30, 2018 11:33 am, Richard Solomon wrote:
> I noticed a spot that looks like it takes a PC mount SMA.

Others have noted that the PCB appears to support multiple different
footprint oscillators or input of an external oscillator.

> Looking at the center pin, it looks like the output of the TCXO.
> I plan to run a small coax from that to the BNC output connector.
> Any thoughts or comments ?

If the output buffer is not operating properly, then there is a high
likelihood the broken output buffer will just drag down the output of the
OCXO, which will prevent the entire device from operating. Even with the
buffer disconnected you risk disrupting the operation of the GPS receiver
when you connect and disconnect loads to the BNC connector (if the GPS
receiver even keeps operating properly with a 50 Ohm load directly on the
oscillator output).

What are the markings of the devices close to the BNC connector?  Don't
forget to check the bottom of the PCB, there are a few devices there as
well on some models, but I don't know if the layout is the same on all
revisions.

--
Chris Caudle