[time-nuts] a newbie question: where can I purchase 794.7nm VCSEL for building CPT rubidium clock?

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Thu Jun 14 11:51:54 EDT 2018

On Mon, 11 Jun 2018 22:29:42 +0800
mimitech mimitech <mimitech at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think your information is very interesting. I didn't realize which type
> of common LDs can do GHz level modulation (anyway I didn’t have much
> knowledge on laser diode before).

Hehe. Same here. When I looked into CPT I thought that one needs
a fast laser diode as well. Then, a few years ago, I had the chance
to talk to John Kitching who corrected a few of my assumptions.

> It would be great If you could recommend
> several good Laser diodes (which vendor/part number) with possible 1-2GHz
> modulation bandwidth. Thanks!

Sorry, unfortunately I do not have any reliable data on the bandwidth
of standard laser diodes. The easiest would be probably if you select
some diodes that you can easily acquire, then contact the manufacturer.
Manufacturers almost always have more data on their devices than they
put into the datasheet. They do not include it because they can either
not sufficiently control those parameters during production, cannot
test for it or testing would be too expensive.

			Attila Kinali

use without that foundation.