[time-nuts] LT1016 as a pulse shaper...

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Sat Mar 3 14:06:40 EST 2018

In the 5071A, we squared up an 80 MHz clock with a 74AC04 gate
capacitively coupled with resistive bias to set it at half
the supply current; not a resistor from input to output as
you often see.

Ever since the LT1016 came out, it has been the "easy" way
to square up a sine wave.  Easy != high performance.  The
temperature drift of the delay time in the LT1016 is
very substantial.

Regarding ultra high speed comparators:  No you don't want
the fastest one you can get.  That just maximizes the jitter.
You merely want "good enough" speed.  In any event, comparators
are never a low jitter way to square up a sine wave.

Rick N6RK