[time-nuts] Need a Watch Recommendation

Larry McDavid lmcdavid at lmceng.com
Mon Mar 5 11:19:41 EST 2018

I really don't want a conductive metal-case watch on my arm. What I do
want is a light-weight, thin watch with day, date and analog display
with sweep second hand. Not digital... Ok, that may be old-fashioned but
it suits me. I've never found a suitable wwvb watch.

So, I opt for an inexpensive (<$50) Swatch. Very light-weight, thin,
plastic case, plastic band, all non-conductive. And,
externally-replaceable power button cell.

Accuracy? Ok, not TimeNut accuracy but I find mine is accurate to 5
seconds per month. And, the second hand is settable.

I do carry an Android cell phone; its clock is always a few seconds off.
I use an app, Sol Et Umbra, that reads the internal GPS clock for
displayed time and it also displays the difference between NTP and the
phone internal clock. This is a sundial design/interpretation app but it
gives the time of local solar noon (sun meridian transit), a value I use
rather often. It is written by a prominent sundial enthusiast, is free
and has no advertisements; it does lots more, too.

But, honestly, I usually just look at my analog Swatch!

Larry W6FUB

--
Best wishes,

Larry McDavid W6FUB
Anaheim, California  (SE of Los Angeles, near Disneyland)