[time-nuts] WWV or Net Clock controlled oscillator

Mark Sims holrum at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 5 13:26:47 EST 2018

The university that I hang out at has a clock tower with a full set of bells.  Several years ago the tower and bells were restored,  at hefty expense.   But, alas, some no-goodnik neighbors objected to the sound, so they cut back the use of the clock.  I don't know what system they use to get the time and sound the bells.   The bells can also be played from a keyboard (used to be done by a professor in the electrical engineering department until he passed away).  It's rare to hear the bells played anymore.

Lady Heather has support for several audible clocks.

The simplest in the v6 Beta code is a tick clock.  Ticks on the second and beeps on the minute.  This ticks/beeps are compensated for the delays/offsets in the GPS time message.   This mode is intended for doing things like setting mechanical clocks.

There is a Ships Bells mode that sounds the time in ships bells format.

There is a cuckoo clock mode.

There is a singing clock that can be configured to play .wav files at various minutes past the hour.  The default config plays passages from the Palestrina, Missa Assumpta est Maria.

I've been meaning to add a Big Ben mode that allows both playing a file on the hour and then chiming the hour (a cross between the singing clock and the cuckoo clock).   The easiest way to do that would be to have 12 separate hour files.

Besides those clocks Heather has alarm clock and egg timer alarms.