[time-nuts] Frequency deviations in Europe affect clocks

Pete Stephenson pete at heypete.com
Wed Mar 7 16:01:25 EST 2018

On Wed, Mar 7, 2018, at 9:28 PM, Mark Sims wrote:
> A more detailed explanation of what is happening:
>
> https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/03/ovens-across-europe-display-the-wrong-time-due-to-a-serbia-kosovo-grid-dispute/

This explains why my oven clock and the time/temperature display on the building outside my apartment in Switzerland are six minutes slow since January. It was a great mystery to me.

Fortunately the Swiss rail system doesn't, as far as I know, use powerline frequency for timekeeping, even at remote stations, so all the railway clocks are still running properly.

--
Pete Stephenson