[time-nuts] Suggest time-and-tech related locations in Switzerland

Bernd Neubig BNeubig at t-online.de
Thu Mar 15 04:18:32 EDT 2018

Hi Dave,
the center of the Swiss watch & crystal industry is the small town of Grenchen, location of many famous watch makers including the SMH group which includes Microcrystal, previously also Oscilloquartz, and the following wathc brands:
     Prestige and Luxury:
        Breguet (CH)
        Blancpain (CH)
        Glashütte Original (D)
        Jaquet Droz (CH)
        Léon Hatot (CH)
        Harry Winston (USA)
        Omega (CH)
    Upper price segment:
        Longines (CH)
        Rado (CH)
        Union Glashütte (D)
    Middle price segment:
        Tissot (CH)
        Calvin Klein (CH)
        Balmain (CH)
        Certina (CH)
        Mido (CH)
        Hamilton (CH)
    Base segment:
        Swatch (CH)
        Flik Flak (CH)
    Private Label:
        Endura (CH)

A few km away is Neuchatel (Neuenburg), a center of time and frequency companies.
I am not familiar with museums in that area, but I am sure there are some. I think someone else on the list will have more details.
The whole area is the so-called "Swiss Jura".
The area of time & frequency companies and institutes extends into France up to Besancon.
Neuchatel and Besancon are the locations where the EFTF (European Time and Frequency Forum) started and is taking place in one of both every two years.

Best regards
Bernd
DK1AG