[time-nuts] WWV/CHU

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Fri Mar 30 00:42:35 EDT 2018

jimlux at earthlink.net said:
> Hal, you should know better than to have a question like "get time" on this
> list without specify the precision and accuracy <grin>.....

I was thinking of measuring the results, and maybe comparing various
receivers if I get that far.

"Good enough" for me would be to see the change in prop delay from night to
day.

> I was in a meeting yesterday with a lot of technical people, discussing
> testing an HF receiver, and I mentioned WWV as a source, and there were  a
> combination of blank looks and amused/amazed looks (at the blank  looks) -
> OK, so now we know who in the room are the computer only people  (WWV? is
> that some sort of NTP protocol?) and who  are the radio people

I listened to WWV as a kid.  I think my father told me about it.  (We had a
good collection of old tube radios.)

Roughly 40 years ago, a friend showed me a NBS booklet describing a scheme
for distributing time via TV.  I forget the details.  It was a cooperative
project with one of the major networks.  NBS published the propagation delays
which changed occasionally as the phone companies providing the underlying
links rerouted things.

This is an IEEE article from 1972 that looks like a good fit:
  Nationwide Precise Time and Frequency
  Distribution Utilizing an Active Code Within
       Network Television Broadcasts
                    DAVID A. HOWE
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/3092613

--