[time-nuts] nuts about position (cheap receiver)

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu May 3 14:19:29 EDT 2018

kb8tq at n1k.org said:
> If you have a very good survey grade receiver and take a long enough data
> set, yes you can  watch your location drift in some parts of the world. In
> most locations, fixes a few years apart would be a better bet.

I'm in Silicon Valley.  The San Andreas fault is a few miles from here.  A
map of the bay area will show a dozen major faults.  A neighborhood map may
have several smaller lines.
  https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/events/1906calif/virtualtour/bayarea
.php

The USGS has good GPS receivers sprinkled around the area.  You can see
occasional
antenna domes on a post alongside the highway.
  http://www.quake.geo.berkeley.edu/usgs-gps/
(Time sink warning.)

The fault moves about as fast as your fingernails grow, an inch per year.
That's one side relative to the other.  I don't know how fast the pair is
moving.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.