[time-nuts] Question about frequency counter testing

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun May 13 14:09:45 EDT 2018

Hi

> On May 13, 2018, at 1:31 PM, Oleg Skydan <olegskydan at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Bob!
>
> From: "Bob kb8tq" <kb8tq at n1k.org>
>> I guess it is time to ask:
>>
>> Is this a commercial product you are designing?
>
> No. I have no abilities to produce it commercially and I see no market for such product. I will build one unit for myself, I may build several more units for friends or if somebody will like it. I will show the HW details when it will be ready.
>
> What I gain doing it?
> 1. I will have a new counter that suits my current needs
> 2. I will study something new
>
>> If so, that raises a whole added layer to this discussion in terms of “does it do
>> what it says it does?”.
>
> This question is also important for amateur/hobby measurement equipment. I do not need equipment that "does not do what it says it does" even if it is build for hobby use.
>
> The theme about *DEV calculations has many important details I want to understand right, sorry if I asked too many questions (some of them probably were naive) and thank you for the help, it is very appreciated! I hope our discussion is useful not only for me.

You are very much *not* the first person to run into these issues. They date back to the very early use of things like
ADEV. The debate has been active ever since. There are a few other sub debates that also come up. The proper
definition of ADEV allows “drift correction” to be used. Just how you do drift correction is up to you. As with filtering,
drift elimination impacts the results. It also needs to be defined ( if used).,

Bob