[time-nuts] Introduction

David Forbes dforbes at dakotacom.net
Sat Jun 18 22:43:52 UTC 2005

Hi,

I have just subscribed to this list after reading the archives and
determining that it's quite worthwhile.

A bit about myself: I'm an EE currently employed in making
spectrometers and sundry electronics for a couple millimeter-wave
radiotelescopes in southern Arizona. http://aro.as.arizona.edu/  I
expect to get more involved in the timekeeping work at the telescopes
in the near future.

My paying hobby is making such silly timepieces as nixie tube
wristwatches and oscilloscope clocks. I also like really old
computers and the intersection of music and electronics.

I currently don't own much in the way of precision time or frequency
equipment; a old Beckman WWV receiver and a GPS 18 puck are the only
things keeping me in touch with UTC. I hope to improve this situation
soon.

Having just dismantled the burned-out crystal oven in my spare HP
5245L counter and read the E1938A design files, I'm beginning to get
a healthy respect for those who can make a quartz crystal give
accurate time. I think it would be fun to make an ovenized quartz
oscillator from scratch, just to get a feel for what it's like.
Hello, Minco!

--

--David Forbes, Tucson, AZ
http://www.cathodecorner.com/