[time-nuts] Symmetricom 5071A

Magnus Danielson cfmd at bredband.net
Mon Jun 27 21:51:05 UTC 2005

From: "Richard \(Rick\) Karlquist \(N6RK\)" <richard at karlquist.com>
Subject: RE: [time-nuts] Symmetricom 5071A
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 14:42:40 -0700

Rick,

> > Never has Symmetricom or any other CBT manufacturer made CBTs for HP or
> > Agilent. HP/Agilent always made
> > their own.
> >

> I thought the CBT's were originally made by Varian for HP.

Until HP aquired the whole line, and continued much of the research and
development. It becomes evident both by public sources about history (such as
those on the UFFC site) and when doing patent archeology.

> That's why the CBT burn in fixtures (still in use today AFAIK)
> are marked "Varian Associates".

Interesting. Same shape of the tubes or have they been adapted over time?

> In any event, the 5071 CBTs have never been outsourced.

I might add that my source said the same thing, when asked.

Cheers,
Magnus