[time-nuts] FTS1200, OSA8600, OSA8601 phase noise and ADEV measures

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Thu Aug 2 20:39:23 UTC 2012

Hi John,

On 08/02/2012 09:59 PM, John Ackermann N8UR wrote:
> Magnus, this is very cool. Can you describe your cross-correlation setup
> with the Time-Pod? I'd like to play with it here and compare notes.

1. Unscrew the hardwire jumpers on the input side of the TimePod.

2. Hook up two low (enough) noise oscillators on the two separated channels.

3. Trim the reference channel oscillators to be close, they should not
wrap around during the measurement time. I know I am sloppy on the last
digit of this detail.

4. Reconfigure the channel use to be 1-0 and 3-2 rather than standard
0-1 and 2-3.

5. Measure as you intend.

The benefit is that I can de-correlate the reference oscillator noise,
and measure near or even below it.

I have just started doing this, so this is really my first sloppy
measurements for you to see where I am heading.

I expect John to chime in and comments on all my mistakes.

Cheers,
Magnus