[time-nuts] Crosscorrelation phase noise measurements

Sylvain Munaut 246tnt at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 21:24:12 UTC 2012

Hi Magnus,

Thanks a lot for the concise and very clean explanation.

The cross-correlation part between the two signal was clear enough in
my head but I didn't really see how it would achieve much gain. I
didn't think about averaging many resulting spectrum while they're
still complex (and not just the amplitudes ... ). I assume that the
cross correlation of the two measurement makes the phase of several
consecutive measurement "align" so that the main signal accumulates
over many averages while the noise is just averaged out.

Cheers,

    Sylvain