[time-nuts] web presentation of data

mike cook mc235960 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 17:57:36 UTC 2012

Le 07/08/2012 17:56, Chris Albertson a écrit :
> On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 6:45 AM, Jim Lux <jimlux at earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> On 8/6/12 10:43 AM, Chris Albertson wrote:
>>
>>> On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 8:34 AM, Jim Lux <jimlux at earthlink.net> wrote:
>>>
>>>   what would be useful is to have some sort of "plotting engine" that is a
> So the web server is inside an Arduino?  Yes can't run GNUplot there.   Why
> not have the Arduino produce either Postscript or PDF?  It is very easy to
> draw a graph in Postscript.
>   <snipped>
> Also everyone already has the display engine.  PDF is very much like
> Postscript. but I think Postscrip in "EPS" form is easy to create inside an
> Arduino,

One good reason for doing as little as possible in a micro-controller is
that they are often used to collect raw  data with as little latency as
possible. Doing web serving on a single slowish core in that case is not
a good idea. I have a bunch of Soekris doing data collection and if I
start to do compute intensive tasks on one, it skews the timing, so I
use a completely independent one to do the web serving, with the data
collectors providing access to data via nfs which does not seen to
impact the timing much even though I can't guarantee that requests are
satisfied in otherwise idle time . I like the idea of  client side
graphing. It probably exists already somewhere though I haven't checked
details - RGraph pops up with google.

--
Les chiens aboient, et la caravane passe.