[time-nuts] What size graphs do people like? (How big is yourscreen?)

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 13 13:26:49 UTC 2012

On 8/8/12 5:19 AM, Sylvain Munaut wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> SVG is uncompressed text.  PNG compresses well, at least for simple cases.
>
> Decently configured web servers will compress SVG on the fly during
> transport, wich yields a 9k transfer size.
> (and your server is definitely not properly configured for SVG, it
> doesn't compress and serves it as text/plain ...)

"decently configured"  probably excludes my application, where I have a
very limited function server (an Arduino)

Web services are a convenient, nearly universal, scheme to communicate
between boxes.  It's not always in the context of a traditional "fat
server/thin client" sort of model.

In fact, I'd say that the client end (the web browser) typically has
more computing and display horsepower (on a per connection basis) than
the server in most cases.  Even a fairly big server serving 100s of
pages per second to iPhone type clients has a more horsepower on the
receiving end than the sending end.