[time-nuts] Advice on Austron 1250A

WB6BNQ wb6bnq at cox.net
Sun Aug 19 02:06:56 UTC 2012

Hi Dave,

The Austron 1250 is a very close look alike to the hp-105 Quartz standard.  A
decent quartz oscillator is certainly worth having besides the usual Tbolt GPS or
Rb type references.  The Austron will certainly be a "quieter" signal then the
Tbolt or Rb oscillators for short (<1 to 10 seconds) averaging times.

Of course we all would like the lowest price.  If the unit is truly working
properly, I don't think the price is too terribly high.  The only major drawback
is the actual oscillator "can" inside the unit is a sealed device which I believe
is the Austron 1150A Sulzer unit.  It makes repairing it, should it fail, harder
to do.  However, it can be replaced with a hp-10811 type oscillator unit, having
similar characteristics, without too much trouble.

Consider that a hp-10811 oscillator can be had for between $50 and upwards to
$150, the $250 is not a bad price.  Especially when you consider that the
hp-10811 is just the oscillator and would need the inclusion of a cabinet, power
supply and other supporting harware, etc., to achieve the same versitility of the
Austron.

Bill....WB6BNQ