[time-nuts] newbie question Thunderbolt supply

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Sun Aug 26 16:30:07 UTC 2012

On Sun, Aug 26, 2012 at 3:46 AM, <EWKehren at aol.com> wrote:

> Having played with several solutions I found the best is a 12 V 1 A
> switcher with the output voltage increased to 15 V, check the capacitors
> and if
> necessary replace with 25 V. I laid out a PC board that has a TC7662A
> inverter  followed by a 79L12.  Also on the board is a 7812 followed by a
> 7805.
> Putting them in series gives me good thermal distribution. ....

One of the advantages of generating waste heat like that is that you can
but the heat to good use.  I build a temperature controlled fan.  It is
very simple a temperature sensor IC connects to an opamp that drives a
power transistor that drives a 12V fan.

As for the power supply.  I used a filter that does not drop any volts and
I can't see any RF on the DC using my old 365 Tek scope or by using a more
sensitive RF power meter.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California