[time-nuts] ublox chip sets - what GPS device should I buy?

David Kirkby david.kirkby at onetel.net
Fri Aug 31 21:03:57 UTC 2012

On 31 August 2012 20:35,  <SAIDJACK at aol.com> wrote:
> Dave,
>
> that depends on which uBlox the unit supports. There are basically three
> different sizes: AMY, LEA, and NEO. They also sell chip-sets, but only to
> very  large volume customers.

It plugs in on USB. Somewhere I read it had to be ublox  compatible,
but having looked in the manual, it says:

-------------------------
GPS (Global Positioning System) allows you to ‘stamp’ each data trace
with your physical position in latitude/longitude/elevation format.
This can be useful when making measurements on cell towers or other
antennas at remote locations. NOTE This feature is usable ONLY with
the GPS receiver that is shipped with Microsoft “Streets and Trips”
and “AutoRoute”. The GPS receiver is NOT available from Agilent. Only
the GPS USB receiver is used with the FieldFox. Therefore, it is NOT
necessary to purchase the very latest version of the map software.

So it seems I need to purchase Microsoft "Streets and Trips" with the
optional GPS device, which is only $70 in total.

http://www.microsoft.com/streets/en-us/default.aspx

Does anyone know how good/bad that device is? I'd be using it in the
UK 99% of the time.

Dave