[time-nuts] new GPSDO kit

Tim Shoppa tshoppa at gmail.com
Sat Apr 5 12:58:00 UTC 2014

Holdover requirement of 2 days I'm sure made sense for the Telco-purchased
GPSDO's intended to be on 24x7x365 at cell base stations e.g. Z3801A. I'm
guessing 2 days would be how long it would take them to get a crew there to
replace a broken GPS antenna and they figured the extra cost of the OCXO
was worth it.

The USB-powered TCXO GPSDO's are clearly not aimed at that market. They
seem to me, to be pocket-portable units that travel with a crew and are
designed to come on quickly, acquire and lock to an antenna maybe just
stuck to a window, and deliver accurate pps or 10MHz as references for
non-telco uses.