[time-nuts] GPS antenna in silicon/RTV encapsulation

EWKehren at aol.com EWKehren at aol.com
Tue Apr 15 18:02:12 UTC 2014

The Gerber Baby Food Jar at Wall Mart $ 0.49

In a message dated 4/15/2014 1:03:40 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jimlux at earthlink.net writes:

On  4/15/14, 8:13 AM, EWKehren at aol.com wrote:
> Working off list on a super  high performance GPSDO but low cost thanks
to a
>   time nut  (sorry forgot his name) he directed me to DX.com which have
ublox
>  with  antenna for lwss than $ 23. Super performance and though they are
out
> of the one  with 1 pps all you have to do is solder directly  to the
module.
> Have both  versions. Attached you see what I did  with the antenna but
found
> out the hard  way that when it rains  the concave bottom fills with water,
> still works but not  as  good. So last night I made it flat with 3M Marine
> 5200 slow cure that  I have  extensive experience with from boating. Will
take a
> full  week to cure but if it  does not work I can always remove it and
start
> over

There is a similar approach using a small  "display dome" which is
basically a round bottom beaker kind of shape  designed to go on a wooden
base. It can just as easily go on a big cork or  stopper, or a disk cut
out of a HDPE cutting board.

Googling  "display dome" will show you copious choices. or somewhere like
"glassdomes.com"

Of course, if you have a supply of canning jars or  babyfood jars, then
you can use those. Nothing says the jar has to be  mounted with the axis
vertical. You could do it sideways (like a ship in a  bottle) to help
solve the "rain in the punt"  problem.