[time-nuts] Low SNR GPS reception and cheap LNAs

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Sat Apr 26 12:59:14 UTC 2014

On Sat, 26 Apr 2014 08:20:47 -0400
Bob Camp <lists at rtty.us> wrote:

> The ability of these receivers to handle noisy signals depends on a lot of
> things. The good stuff seems to have a massive number of correlators. Going
> from a 1.3 to a 0.3 db nf amp likely only helps you by 1 db. The low
> correlateor GPS’s are / were 10 to 20 db less sensitive than the newer stuff

Yes, the sub-optimal correlation system in GNSS-SDR seems to be one of
the problems. But still, the LNA will help with two things: It will
enable me to put the antenna in a better spot while compensating for
the cable loss (i need about 20m of additional cable, which is about 6dB
of loss) and a stronger signal at the bladeRF such that less gain is
needed in the radio chip there.

My current goal is to get a feeling how GNSS-SDR works. After i get
an understanding for the code, i will try to improve on the correlators
in order to improve reception.

			Attila Kinali

--
I pity people who can't find laughter or at least some bit of amusement in
the little doings of the day. I believe I could find something ridiculous