[time-nuts] BeagleBone Black NTP server

Brian Lloyd brian at lloyd.com
Sat May 10 02:32:01 UTC 2014

On Fri, May 9, 2014 at 8:49 PM, Chris Albertson
<albertson.chris at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, May 9, 2014 at 1:55 PM, Brian Lloyd <brian at lloyd.com> wrote:
>
> > Has anyone here made NTP run on BBB? My plan is to run NTP disciplined by
> > my Trimble Thunderbolt on BBB.
>

> NTP is likely already installed on the BBB.  It ships with the BBB.

That may be the case for the Angstrom distro but it is not the case for the
Debian distro, which seems to be the future direction of BBB.

> Some
> configuration is needed to enable the service.  Do this first and verify
> you can run using Internet pool servers.   Then after this is running you
> physically connect your GPS then add lines in NTP's config file telling NTP
> you have added another ref. clock.

This link:

http://the8thlayerof.net/2013/12/08/adafruit-ultimate-gps-cape-creating-custom-beaglebone-black-device-tree-overlay-file/

Seems to have the bulk of the requisite information including building a
GPS cape using the Adafruit GPS module. See:

https://www.adafruit.com/product/746

This isn't a timing receiver but would probably be adequate for NTP. But
since I already have a T-bolt I figured I would use that as my timing
source.

--
Brian Lloyd, WB6RQN/J79BPL
706 Flightline Drive