[time-nuts] Low cost GPS module for < 100ns timestamping error

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Sat May 10 03:19:19 UTC 2014

On Fri, May 9, 2014 at 10:46 AM, Tony <tnuts at toneh.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> But isn't that only supported by 'timing' GPS modules that allow you to
> specify the location? But they are rather more expensive than the common
> navigation type modules - are there sub $15 modules that support that
> single-satellite timing feature?

With a $15 budget.  I think you are limited to the old Motorola Oncore
type.  The UT+ sells for about $15 on eBay.  There are two versions of the
UT.  Get the timing one.   These aren't to bad.  The PPS one sigma error is
about 50ns and the UT runs on 5 volts.   The newer MT+ version is better
but at least $30.

Does it make sense to place thermal insolation on a TCXO?  It does on an
OCXO because there is a thermostat inside the device and the thermal
insulation will help the OCXO maintain a constant temperature.   But a TCXO
will just run hotter.  I think all you need is a box to keep drafts and
direct sunlight off the TCXO.

--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California