[time-nuts] BeagleBone Black NTP server

nuts nuts at lazygranch.com
Sat May 10 07:30:52 UTC 2014

On Fri, 9 May 2014 23:49:05 -0400
Paul <tic-toc at bodosom.net> wrote:

> On Fri, May 9, 2014 at 11:38 PM, nuts <nuts at lazygranch.com> wrote:
>
> > I can tell you that the BBB is really reliable. You don't hear that
> > about the R. Pi,
> >

> I find them comparable.  My Pi has actually run longer.  I don't
> expect either to be able to run a year without crashing.
>

> > Note a bug on the BBB is if you use a cape, it blocks the connector
> > to the serial port.
>

> I use "stacking" headers (the wrong way) to lift the cape.  I'd
> rather have the console port than be able to close a case.

I think I can visualize what you did. Kind of like how many daughter
boards connect to motherboards.

I was thinking it might make more sense to move the serial port pins to
the bottom, or just make a flexible cable to hook up to the serial port.

You have to wonder who made this "executive decision" to have the cape
cover rather important pins.

Now in defense of the BBB versus the older Beagle Boards, the ethernet
port is native, so to speak, rather than going through a usb port then
converted to ethernet. There were real problems with that scheme, most
notably the usb hub crashing and bringing down all communications. So
you can do a trustworthy SSH into the ethernet port.

I have a Beagleboard XM gathering dust due to issues with the usb hub.
It didn't turn out to be the most stable arm SBC. However the BBB is
very solid except for that odd router issue I mentioned.

> http://www.inplanesight.org/adsb_bbb_angstrom.html

This page has instructions for using the BBB for mode-s decoding, but
there are a few useful tips on it. For instance, you will want to
change the "runlevel" if you want to SSH into the device rather than
use the HDMI port.