[time-nuts] Low cost GPS module for < 100ns timestamping error

Jason Rabel jason at extremeoverclocking.com
Mon May 12 21:20:54 UTC 2014

> Unfortunately they use way too much power - 800mW maximum compared to
> 50mW for a UBLOX MAX-7c which are around $15. It also is specified at
> 50ns rms, 99% < 100ns.  It appears that most, if not all, the timing
> type modules are higher power as well as more expensive; unless anyone
> has any better suggestions it looks like I'll have to stick to
> navigation type modules.

Have you looked at any of the Furuno modules?

There is the Furuno GT-8036 on eBay for $20 each which is a M12 timing clone (both physical and software communication). It is
spec'ed at 58mA...

http://furunogps.us.com/docs/GT8036-Brochure.pdf

Better than an old UT+ and a little cheaper (and faster shipping) than the M12+T from China.

If you are looking at direct from manufacturer, their latest model is the GT-8536 (but still a M12 clone)... I have no idea what the
price would be.