[time-nuts] Weather/units question for European members

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Sat May 24 06:03:33 UTC 2014

Here in the US, most people who really care about wind speed think
knots.  For causal use to the general public them it's MPH.

If you want to be esoteric use the "Beaufort Wind Scale"  It is
actually still used because it can be estimated from looking at the
water.   It is easy to learn to tell a 2, 3 ,4 just by looking

On Fri, May 23, 2014 at 9:21 PM, David J Taylor
<david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> I am building a weather sensor that includes a ultrasonic anemometer to
> measure wind speed, direction, and air temperature.  It uses 4 cheap ($1
> each) HC-SR04 ultrasonic rangefinder modules that output a pulse width
> proportional to the time of flight of the sound signal  (topic is time nut
> related since  it simultaneously measures the speed of sound in 4 directions
> to a pretty good accuracy/resolution using a cheap-ass microprocessor -
> ATMEGA328 (like and Arduino)...  and does so without using any counter-timer
> channels).
> Now the question...  I would like it to be able to output data in imperial
> or metric units.  In what units is the typical wind speed reported
> (meters/sec,  km/hour, ?).   Also air pressure
> (millibars/hectopascals/pascals/?).
>
> Mark,
>
> m/s and hPa are often used, but not exclusively.
>
> Cheers,
> David
> --
> SatSignal Software - Quality software written to your requirements
> Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
> Email: david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California