[time-nuts] New tide gauge uses GPS signals to measure sea level change

Paul tic-toc at bodosom.net
Thu May 29 01:48:58 UTC 2014

On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 6:28 PM, Jim Lux <jimlux at earthlink.net> wrote:

> What you need is to program your receiver to give you the raw observables
> (someone on the list can point you to how you do this), and then you need
> to get them in what's called RINEX file format.  You submit your RINEX
> formatted files to JPL's web based GIPSY processing site (wait at least a
> week or two after you collect your data, so they have the precise GPS
> ephemeris figured out), and get your geodetic data back.

The JPL system says it will do single frequency in the future so for now I
think you need a dual frequency(L1/L2) receiver.  The Canadian Geomatics
group does single frequency and of course you can do your own
post-processing.  RTKLIB (I think first mentioned here in 2011) seems to be
popular.  PPP is why I have LEA-6T and NEO-7P receivers.

RTKLIB says it can locate my antenna within a 2x5x10 cm volume given a few
days of data.