[time-nuts] ESE ES-180 WWV Receiver Schematic

Bob Betts rwbetts at sbcglobal.net
Thu May 29 02:38:14 UTC 2014

Hi All:
This posting is not about splitting milli-seconds or other accuracy stuff, but I need help and thought of our time-nuts group.
At our Ham club we try to keep accurate time (think wall clock) for logging certain tests, local and state emergency skeds and coordination with other EmComm and ARES facilities. To that end, I installed a GPS receiver which was a more convenient upgrade from the old Spectracom WWVB, 60 kHz clock and some other first efforts.
 http://bobsamerica.com/time3.html

We also acquired an ESE, ES-180 clock which decodes data from any of the 5 WWV HF broadcasts; 2.5, 5, 10, 15, 20 MHz. Okay fine. We have 3 clock reception options. Obviously, the GPS is the most convenient, so good bye to the LF receiver.

However, over time, we have come to use the 5-band HF clock as a propagation beacon. A quick scan of the 5 bands gives us a good feeling of the HF band propagation quality for a given time of day, sun spot activity, season, weather condx and the highest MUF band (max usable freq). This is a great tool that covers a big portion of our allocated HF privilages, 160 thru 15 meters.

Sorry, this post is getting long. Okay, so my point is that I need to find a schematic for the subject ESE clock. I need to make some mods to the auto-scan circuits and do a (probably) overdue receiver alignment. The ES-180 contains 2 PC Bd's; one for the display drivers/7-segment encoders and the other is the receiver, scan controller and data decoders. ESE had the schematic for the digital board, but no archive material for the receiver section. I've been searching the usual suspects, but no good fortune yet.

I realize that this topic is a bit different than what we usually discuss here, but if anyone could point me in the right direction for this schematic, we'd really appreciate it.

Many thanks,

Bob, N1KPR

http://www.bobsamerica.com  http://www.youtube.com/n1kpr

Engineering: Where Enigma meets Paradox