[time-nuts] Caveats on Allan Deviation with ultra stable oscillators

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Sat May 31 13:56:25 UTC 2014

>> will also look better than it really is, and for the same reasons.  (Some
>> people have even reported similar behavior with cesium standards,
>> although I
>> don't see how that could happen.  There aren't supposed to be any
>> first-order temperature effects in a CBT, and I'd think that any
>> lower-order
>> effects would be way beneath the tube's flicker floor...)

The 5061 had problems with microwave field leakage known
as the top cover effect (see papers by DeMarchi.)  This
is at least a possible mechanism for injection locking
5061's.

The 5071A has a completely different microwave assembly
without leakage problems.  The 5071A outputs have very
high reverse isolation.  Tests showed that there are
no detectable systematic environmental effects in the
5071A (whatever ones there are fall below the noise).

Rick Karlquist N6RK