[time-nuts] How long do ovens take to cool to ambient after power is removed?

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Thu Oct 2 05:32:16 UTC 2014

> I'd expect an exponential decay so you need to specify how close to ambient
> you want to get.   I'd guess a ballpark of 10x the warm up rate.
>
> You can probably measure it if you have the warmup graph.  Turn it off, wait
> a while, turn it on, measure the freq, consult warmup graph.

Some older OCXO (like the 10544 and 10811) have separate power for the oscillator and oven(s) circuit. This makes it very easy to create comprehensive warm-up and warm-down plots in a single run. For modern oscillators with single supply, yeah, you sort of have to play the wait / power-on / quickly measure / power off / repeat game for every data point of the decay plot.

/tvb