[time-nuts] Measurement of frequency of HP 8720D option 1D5 oscillator after switch on

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Sat Oct 4 12:24:00 UTC 2014

Dave,

Thanks for the raw data. Attached is my plot. Your data looks ok to me.

If you're interested here are some random comments about your 8720D-1D5-oscillator-frequency.csv file:

- Thanks for including the description of the data as comments in the file. I can't tell you how many times I get data files from people and you have to play "20 questions" before you know what the columns are, or what the units are, or what the sampling interval is, etc.

- Thanks for including the elapsed time (column 6) as part of the data set. This is the preferred way to determine the sampling interval; 6.3 seconds in this case.

- You can see the finite resolution of the counter. For example, looking at these five lines:
    10.00002500
    10.00001300
    10.00000000
    9.99998800
    9.99998100
we can see it's a 7 digit measurement. Notice the last two digits are always 00. For a warm-up test, where the oscillator is changing by tens of ppm over several minutes, 7 digits is sufficient. So no worries there.

- You have 355 data points. Notice that the last 319 measurements are all 9.99999400. This is partly due to the fact that the OCXO has warmed up by this point. But this is mostly due to the fact that your OCXO is now more stable than the counter has resolution.

- Out of habit my plot uses ppm units rather than Hz. I converted your frequency measurements to relative frequency error. For example, a frequency of 10.00013100 MHz the error is (10.00013100 - 10) / 10 or 1.31e-5. The five frequency lines above simply become:
    2.5e-6
    1.3e-6
    0.0
    -1.2e-6
    -1.9e-6
and this shows that even though it's a 7 digit counter there are only 2 or 3 digits of resolution (the DUT being quite close to 10 MHz).

- By the time you get to all the 9.99999400 MHz readings, the counter is down to 1 digit of resolution, e.g., -6e-7.

- Most people plot points and draw interpolated lines between them. The Stable32 plot I attached shows a staircase. This is partly due to the fact that the raw data is quantized in both the x and y axis (sample quantization is 6.3 s, frequency quantization is 1 Hz). It is partly done to convey that frequency is inherently an average across some interval rather than a point measurement.

Again, none of this has any impact on your original question about your VNA timebase, but I thought you might be interested in what's hidden in the data. Now imagine the fun you could have making 12 digit measurements...

/tvb