[time-nuts] fast switching quiet synthesizer

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Tue Oct 7 21:18:19 UTC 2014

Hi Anders,

in the absence of a true phase noise analyzer the next best thing is to use
 one of the Agilent 856x analyzers with the phase noise measurement
software  plug-in.

By chance I had looked at Ebay over the weekend and those two can be  had
for around $3500 these days (with an 8561E). Still a lot of $$, but it will
give you a nice improvement over the Rigol spectrum analyzer and still be
5x cheaper than the lowest cost commercial PN analyzer.. Its really cool to
have  a good SA of course, so the PN option just comes as a bonus in my
opinion.

Attached is a sample plot of what that PN output would look like at 100MHz
from a reasonable DDS output. The noise floor is about -135dBc/Hz.

bye,
Said

In a message dated 10/7/2014 13:44:31 Pacific Daylight Time,