[time-nuts] WTB: GPS Antenna Splitter

Dan Rae danrae at verizon.net
Wed Oct 8 16:43:56 UTC 2014

On 10/8/2014 9:01 AM, Dave M wrote:
> John, I found a couple Mini-Circuits ZAPD-2 splitters on Ebay for
> around $22 each, i
I found one at the local swap meet many years ago for $1.  I used that
for years when I only had two gps receivers and it worked fine.  Opening
up the top cover you will easily see the circuit.  I cut one of the
strip lines from the number two port and inserted a 100 pF DC blocking
cap, and a 220 Ohm R plus RF choke (several turns of thin wire) to
ground.  Number one port Rx feeds the antenna and the Rx on Port 2
thinks it has an antenna connected.

With a well sited antenna you will not notice the 3 dB loss.

Now with an 8 way -hp- splitter ($10 at the swap) I don't need it any
more, but the disadvantage is that one is tempted to try to use all
those ports  :^(

Dan