[time-nuts] WTB: GPS Antenna Splitter

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Wed Oct 8 18:12:40 UTC 2014

Hi

There are antennas out there that draw as much as 100 ma in “normal” operation. The overload threshold on GPSDO’s and GPS modules varies from 20 ma to 200 ma. It seems to depend on exactly what antenna the manufacturer decided to use as a standard. Undercurrent threshold varies from zero (as it there isn’t one) to 20 ma. Again, it seems to depend on what they were targeting when they made the box you are looking at. In some cases different years production of the same box has different limits (or the limits are not very precise).  It’s also possible that some of what I’ve seen is defective, since it’s auction site used pulls / salvage.

Yes you read that correctly, a 20 ma antenna will be “under current” on some modules and “over current” on others.

Bob