[time-nuts] Sun Outage

Brooke Clarke brooke at pacific.net
Fri Oct 10 00:26:41 UTC 2014

Hi Don:

It's my understanding that all satellite dishes have a parabolic curve which focuses the signal on the feed.
The C-band dish has a round outline and the feed is located along the dish center line.
Most commercial Ku-band antennas have a parabolic curve, but have a elliptical or orange peal outline.  These are off
center fed so that the feed does not shadow the antenna like it did on the C-band dishes.  This is the same problem that
the vast majority of reflecting astronomical telescopes have, i.e. the secondary mirror area needs to be subtracted from
the primary mirror area to get the effective primary mirror area.

A very practical result of that difference is that a C-band dish has it's main beam along the dish center line, but a
Ku-band dish does not.

http://www.prc68.com/I/Images/SB_angw.jpg  - showing the beam realtive to the dish and beam hitting gutter.
Better when dish mounted on roof:
http://www.prc68.com/I/SBvsat.shtml
But the construction of the older dish was better than the newer/cheaper dish.

The Free To Air (FTA) Ku-band dishes also have a parabolic curve & round outline, but they are offset fed, see:
http://www.prc68.com/I/FTA.shtml

Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke, N6GCE
http://www.PRC68.com