[time-nuts] Sun Outage

nuts nuts at lazygranch.com
Fri Oct 10 03:53:35 UTC 2014

On Thu, 09 Oct 2014 18:14:55 -0400
Graham <planophore at aei.ca> wrote:

> If you have an interest in trying to measure sun noise, you might
> like to have a look at the "itty bitty radio telescope".
>
> (watch the line wrap)
>
> http://www.arrl.org/files/file/ETP/Radio%20Astronomy/Build%20a%20Homebrew%20Radio%20Telescope-QST-0609.pdf
>
> http://www.gb.nrao.edu/epo/ambassadors/ibtmanualshort.pdf
>
> http://www.stargazing.net/david/radio/itty_bitty_radio_telescope.html
>
> as a start. A google search will return more.
>
> cheers, Graham ve3gtc

As an alternative, you might consider the Drake commercial satellite
receivers. I've bought a few of these off of Ebay for about $20 each.
These show up at recyclers. Every one I got worked. They have just been
sitting in rack until I suppose the service wasn't needed.

These commercial receivers have analog meters that you could tap.

I've bough the ESR 1255. I have manuals for the 1245, 1252, 1255,
1260, and 1450 if you can't find them online. But probably the 1252 or
1255 is what would work best in this application.