[time-nuts] Lightning arrestors for GPSDO antenna

Bill Hawkins bill at iaxs.net
Sat Oct 18 21:05:25 UTC 2014

FWIW, when grounding the metal mast of a boat, three inch wide copper
strap is used because it is a better RF conductor. The strap is
available
in marine supply stores.

You really don't want lightning punching one or more holes in your boat,
so whatever hits the mast (usually the full stroke, not a side shoot)
gets directed directly to the keel.

IIRC, gas discharge tubes take some time to ignite, so something faster
is required to take the initial current.

Bill Hawkins