[time-nuts] 10MHz Rubidium reference source for frequency counter

Alexander Pummer alexpcs at ieee.org
Wed Oct 29 21:57:17 UTC 2014

Don't give up Karen, the Morion oxcos are relative easy to repair, you
need one coca-cola can, cut it is pieces until you get a very thin ALU
foil, get some thicker carton wind around the box of the OXCO's box that
way you have a heat isolation between the OXCO's box and the vise, which
you need to hold it, but hold the OXCO that way, that the bottom part
where the soldering is fare away from the vise, and the can is upside
down, "fire up" a relative large  [ min. 100W] solder iron, if it has
temperature setting set to the maximum  and if it is hot push it hard
against  the OXCO can, as soon as the solder melted push a piece Alu
foil into the gap [ there is a gap between the bottom of the can and the
rst of the can ] and move to the next part to melt the solder. You need
to push in at least 5mm long the Alu foil into the gap, if you get it
all around, you could pull out the content of the OXCO can.
That is a double oven oscillator, depend what is the problem , you may
have to open the internal can also, usually it is "visible" if something
is broken, just power up and follow the current paths, with meter and
scope probe, it is practical to temporarily disconnect the oven heating
[ the large heater transistor ].
I fixed five of them, you need some patience and luck and you have to be
very careful.
73
KJ6UHN
Alex