[time-nuts] Thunderbolt Power Supply Suggestions

Charles Steinmetz csteinmetz at yandex.com
Tue Jun 9 03:19:22 UTC 2015

skipp wrote:

>I've identified the Meanwell T-30B as a decent power supply. I like Meanwell
>power supply products quite a bit.
>
>Anyone have pro or con comments or alternative supply suggestions, else I
>go with the t-30b unless something else crosses my radar screen.

The T-30B is a switching supply, and there is evidence that noise
from switching supplies causes both AM and PM noise on the 10MHz
output of a TBolt.  See:

<http://www.leapsecond.com/pages/tbolt/noise.htm>

For best results, you may want to use a linear supply instead.  The
Power One HTAA-16W-A is one popular linear supply for use with the
TBolt.  They are often available very reasonably on ebay.  I believe
there is an identical or near-identical Condor model, but I do not
know that part number.  For use with a TBolt, the HTAA-16W-A benefits
from a very simple modification to allow full voltage to the oven at
startup (otherwise, the 12v supply is current-limited when the TBolt
is first powered up from cold):

<http://www.ko4bb.com/manuals/download.php?file=06_Misc_Test_Equipment/Power_One/Power_One_HTAA-16W-A_mod_for_Thunderbolt_power_supply.pdf>

Best regards,

Charles