[time-nuts] Electronically Disciplined Mechanical Pendulum

Ian Stirling is at opus131.com
Tue Jun 9 19:14:39 UTC 2015

On 06/08/2015 01:11 PM, Bert, VE2ZAZ wrote:

> I just want to let those who are curious about disciplining a mechanical pendulum

Hello Bert,

  It is good seeing this in motion.

  I have had this project in mind since I read the article in Scientific American,
"A Venerable Clock Is Made Highly Accurate By Equipping It with Quarts-Crystal Works".,
September 1974. "Wall clock of Seth Thomas manufacture, modified by Laurance M. Leeds."

 Recently I bought a working pendulum clock with the notion of doing the same, but
with modern electronics and a closed loop feedback method, LEDs and sensors,
rather than open loop as in the article.

  It is such a beautiful clock though, and it ticks so nicely, I wonder if I should
mess with it even if all my electronics is invisible.

  The SA article really is titled with "Quarts".

  .. my first post here, a test as well.

Ian, G4ICV, AB2GR