[time-nuts] Close in phase noise of microwave VCOs

John Miles john at miles.io
Thu Jun 18 01:15:10 UTC 2015

Also see http://www.ke5fx.com/gunnpll.html , a quick and dirty but successful attempt at locking a Gunnplexer in a relatively low (1 kHz) loop bandwidth.  The inband noise is likely too high for good performance in a radar application, but the basic idea is workable enough.  Unfortunately I tried this experiment before I had any way to generate log plots. :(

I can't think of many noise-critical applications where a microwave VCO is used without some form of phase locking.  I'd think that a homodyne architecture would still need a synthesized source, just because the waveform being received is delayed relative to the one that was sent.  Without a clean source, I'd imagine that you'd have to do autocorrelation between the outgoing and incoming channels rather than simple/cheap baseband mixing.  An obvious question would be whether it's cheaper to add another digitizer and correlator to your pipeline than it would be to clean up your source...

-- john, KE5FX
Miles Design LLC