[time-nuts] Casio Watches 13 Year Drift in Seattle

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Mon Jun 29 20:53:30 UTC 2015

Hi

Well there are a few possibilities:

1) The person wears their watch 24 hours a day
2) They take it off for random periods of time
3) The person swims marathons weekly in cold water with their watch on
4) The watch sites in a cabinet for 10 years

The further down that list the colder the watch runs.

Cassio and pretty much everybody else *do* temperature compensate their watches for the nominal temperature characteristic of the crystal they use. It is easy to do digitally and thus costs nothing (either in silicon area or power). They also adjust the watch on frequency digitally rather than mechanically. Compared to the way we used to do it (40 years ago), it’s a lot cheaper to do it the “new way”. It is interesting that
the nominal set point is still “fast” though.

Bob