[time-nuts] Casio Watches 13 Year Drift in Seattle

Andy AI.egrps+tn at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 22:03:11 UTC 2015

   "If this was normal back at the turn of the 20th century, why wouldn't
    Casio, and others at least do as well?  Especially now that all
    electronic watches have a microprocessor built in... complete with
    temperature sensing diodes, battery monitors, and other nifty gadgets."

I am guessing the vast majority of Casio owners don't especially care if
their watch gains or loses a minute every month.  So why bother to add
sensors and circuitry to compensate for its environment?

Furthermore, it requires setting the initial frequency on each watch built,
to compensate for the crystal's initial error.  And that jacks up the cost,
perhaps more than adding those sensors would.  Better to just churn them
out with as little per-unit testing as possible.

That's just my guess ... but who am I to say?

Regards,
Andy