[time-nuts] DMTD - analog multiplier vs. diode mixer ?

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Fri Jan 8 17:16:58 UTC 2016

On 1/7/2016 3:11 PM, Bob Camp wrote:
> Hi
>
> If your intention is to run a mixer with saturated inputs …. just run
> an X-OR gate. It will handle the high level signals much better than
> an over-driven analog part.

> Bob

If you look at the schematic of an XOR gate IC and compare it
to the schematic of, for example, an MC1496 mixer, you will
see a lot of similarity.  If the gate is of the ECL type,
it will have the addition of emitter followers, but that
it a minor detail of implementation.  I'm not sure there
is a huge difference.  ECL is a great logic family in
general (self-confessed ECL-phile here :-) but it is
probably the worst for phase noise, compared to the
saturating logic types.

Rick Karlquist N6RK