[time-nuts] Tait reference

Alan Melia alan.melia at btinternet.com
Mon Jan 11 15:29:54 UTC 2016

Its difficult to say unless you can contact an ex Tait dealer who maintained
a Local authority or Utility scheme. A similar unit by Pye/Philips I have
knowledge of, was the HS400. This contained a Toyocom 5MHz OCXO which was
used to lock a crystal producing the required excitation for the (analogue)
transmitter. There were two reasons for the offset, one was to avoid static
nulls were two overlapping areas had out of phase signals, and the offset
needed to be more than 20Hz (avoids flutter effects from the beats)and less
than 50Hz to avoid confusing the CTCSS decoders (tone squelch).

However later Tait gear in the 800 series was synthersized, I believe, so
this may be an stable reference source (OCXO or Rb) which could be daisy
chained to all the channel transmitters in the site. Rubidium is not
strictly necessary but was being installed in the 90s in some Police
systems. In fact the Rapco GPSDOs available on eBay some couple of years ago
came out, I believe, of London's Met Police system when they went digital.

Alan
G3NYK