[time-nuts] Generating a solid PPS from 10Mhz source

Nick Sayer nsayer at kfu.com
Thu Jan 14 14:55:23 UTC 2016

> On Jan 14, 2016, at 4:11 AM, Bob Camp <kb8tq at n1k.org> wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> The way pretty much all of these work is to take the “10 MHz” in on the clock input port.
> The critical spec is the upper frequency for an external clock input. With some chips this
> is in the vicinity of 50 MHz. On others it tops out at 4 MHz.

For the AVRs I generally use (including the ATTinyx5s the subject here), it’s 10 MHz if you’re running at 3.3 volts and 20 MHz at 5 volts.

> The next step after wiring it up is to check the jitter on the resulting output. It would be
> nice if all input circuits were designed equally well. There is evidence out there that this
> is not the case…..In some cases the performance can be improved by feeding the MCU
> input with a high slew rate signal rather than a sine wave. About all that takes is a single
> gate.

My testing last night (I described the methodology elsewhere) went to the limits of my TIA. The output from my GPSDO is a square wave, so I didn’t condition the input. In the past what I’ve used for that is a DC blocking cap, followed by a Thevenin termination (100Ω to ground and Vcc) feeding a 74LVC1G17 Schmitt trigger buffer. I don’t know if that’s up to Time Nuts standard or not. The one downside I’ve seen with it is that it kind of requires a larger input amplitude than is sometimes convenient.