[time-nuts] Distribution Amplifier: a look inside the 6502B

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Jan 17 01:43:09 UTC 2016

Hi

Ok, so:

Does broadband phase noise matter in a distribution amp? If so why?

Does ADEV matter on a distribution amp? If so why?

Does long term accuracy matter on a distribution system? (yes of course it does).

Is there any benefit to a distribution amp having a lower floor than the source driving it? If so why?

Is a source likely to have excellent broadband phase noise, good ADEV, and excellent long term accuracy all at once?
If so how much does that source cost? Do you have one?

What is your distribution system driving? Does it care about low broadband, good ADEV *and* good long term accuracy?
If so, what is it?

==================

The answer to that multitude of questions is what drives the design of a distribution system. Normally designs are done to target
a set of targets for a set of customers. A typical instrument “target” is not in any way impacted by broadband phase noise. There are a
lot of customers who run instruments off of distribution systems. They *do* care about long term accuracy and ADEV.

The gotcha is that you have tradeoff’s between each of the parameters. The best approach is to target what you need and ignore the rest.
To hit -170 dbc/ Hz phase noise broadband and a 7 dbm output, you need about an 11 db noise figure. (assuming it all goes one way). For
good ADEV performance, a noise figure of 41 db is plenty good enough. A couple of pico seconds of delay variance have zero impact on
broadband phase noise. They are a big deal for ADEV, they have marginal impact on long term accuracy.

Isolation between outputs likely has very little impact on broadband noise. It’s also unlikely to impact ADEV. Plugging this and that with a “pop”
likely has a bit impact on long term accuracy. Lots of issues.

So, for broadband phase noise - you need a lot noise figure amp. It also needs to be able to handle the intended output level *and* achieve
that noise level (not as easy as you might think). Add in the need to do all this into a specified load (say 50 ohms), that narrows things down
a bit more. Isolation is likely to be a function of the package and how many packages you use. At 40 db per package, you may need three
packages to get a 120 db isolation number.

A logic gate can get you to -174 dbc/Hz broadband. Does it do what else you need to do? Cascading op-amps may (or may not) be easier than
cascading logic gates. Driving an op-amp into an op-amp gives you a pretty high load on each of the cascades. The final op-amp needs to be
able to drive 50 ohms. With the gates, the last gate (or combo of gates) needs to be able to drive 50 ohms.

Lots of fun!

Bob