[time-nuts] Generating a solid PPS from 10Mhz source

Bob Stewart bob at evoria.net
Wed Jan 20 21:32:57 UTC 2016

Hi Poul,

Your comment about on-chip PLLs got me to wondering about the dsPIC33FJ128MC804 I'm using in my GPSDO.  So, I put it on the 5370A to see what's up.  Input to the gate port is the drive signal for an LED that I flash at 1PPS (controlled by an on-chip timer).  I delay that with a 10ft piece of RG-58 to drive the start gate.  The stop gate is driven by the OCXO output from the GPSDO.  Internally, the chip's PLL is running at 160MHz  (10MHz OCXO / 2 * 32), which is divided down to 80MHz for FOSC and then by 2 again for FCY, if you know these dsPICs.

The ADEV at 1s is about 1.7E-10, declining at about a decade per decade.  I take this to represent the jitter of the PIC's onboard RC oscillator as driven by the OCXO.

Bob