[time-nuts] HP5370B & HP5345B Front-End IC Redesign Effort

Don Latham djl at montana.com
Wed Jan 27 20:12:15 UTC 2016

I have two A's and one B, and two Beaglebone replacements. I'm interested. If
we even had a block diagram, we'd be ahead!
Don

Richard (Rick) Karlquist
> On 1/22/2016 2:14 PM, Mathew Breton wrote:
>> I was gifted an HP 5370B with the usual problem: front-end problems,
>> probably due to overstress. It is currently up and running again with a set
>> of 5345A series A3/A4 boards as I wasn't able to get a cheap pair of
>> 5088-706x hybrid ICs.
>> This sounds like a common problem. As a result, I'm designing an open-source
>> drop-in (hopefully) replacement. My hat is off to the original IC designer,
>> as it is not a trivial effort due to the wide input signal common-mode
>> range, and very tight trigger timing requirements. Other items (like the
>> E-ECL) output) are also adding a bit of extra effort.
>> I'm hoping that someone(s) might be interested in working with me on it. I
>> would like to have my assumptions and math checked before I start the
>> detailed design phase, and perhaps contribute some better ideas.
>> In addition, it would be really helpful if someone could run a few rise-time
>> dispersion tests on an instrument with a working "B"-series A3/A4 PCB set
>> (my unit obviously doesn't qualify).
>> Regards,
>> Mat Breton
>
> I would like to mention that the "father" of the 5370,
> David Chu, retired from Agilent a few years ago.  He
> might be receptive to giving you some advice about
> your project.  He is still very sharp technically.
> If there is sufficient interest,  I might be able
> to arrange for an introduction.  It would be helpful
> if we had a show of hands on time nuts as to how many
> people on time nuts are interested in this board.
> David was one of the best engineers in the history
> of the Santa Clara division and the fact that the
> 5370 lives on is a testimony to how far ahead of
> its time the design was, some 40 years ago.
>
> Rick Karlquist N6RK
> HP Santa Clara Division 1979-1998

Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas.
Lucky is he who has been able to understand the causes of things.
Virgil
-------------------------------
"Noli sinere nothos te opprimere"

Dr. Don Latham, AJ7LL
Six Mile Systems LLC, 17850 Six Mile Road
Huson, MT, 59846
mailing address:  POBox 404
Frenchtown MT 59834-0404

VOX 406-626-4304